The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 28 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 568 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 568 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $can_access_moderationqueue - Line: 744 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 744 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 884 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 884 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 884 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 884 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7360 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_user.php 816 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 416 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1124 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key 2 - Line: 89 - File: inc/plugins/phptpl.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/phptpl.php 89 errorHandler->error
[PHP]   {closure}
/inc/plugins/phptpl.php 87 preg_replace_callback_array
/inc/plugins/phptpl.php(70) : eval()'d code 19 phptpl_parsetpl
/inc/functions_post.php 484 phptpl_templates->get
Warning [2] Undefined array key 2 - Line: 89 - File: inc/plugins/phptpl.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/phptpl.php 89 errorHandler->error
[PHP]   {closure}
/inc/plugins/phptpl.php 87 preg_replace_callback_array
/inc/plugins/phptpl.php(70) : eval()'d code 19 phptpl_parsetpl
/inc/functions_post.php 484 phptpl_templates->get
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 757 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 757 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 762 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 762 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 800 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 800 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7360 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 757 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 762 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 866 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 866 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 938 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 816 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 451 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 201 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 774 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 885 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 885 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 938 postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_post_quotes_callback1
/inc/class_parser.php 816 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 451 postParser->mycode_parse_quotes
/inc/class_parser.php 201 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 774 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 800 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1565 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1565 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 32 - File: showthread.php(1597) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1597) : eval()'d code 32 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1597 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $ratethread - Line: 40 - File: showthread.php(1597) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1597) : eval()'d code 40 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thread_deleted - Line: 74 - File: showthread.php(1597) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1597) : eval()'d code 74 errorHandler->error

The Anime Crisis Center > The Anime Crisis Center Community Forums > Community Forums > Anime & Manga v

ROD: TV, OAV, or both?

ROD: TV, OAV, or both?
I'm sure some of us have seen either the Read Or Die OAVs or the TV series (or in the cases of some, both) What's your take on ROD, love it, hate it, neutral? If you've seen both series, how do you think they compare?

I first picked up the OAV a couple of years ago, without knowing anything about it. It immediately rocketed to one of my favourite animes of all time (some of you may remember all the Nancy avatars I had at the time) because I loved its spoofy, irreverent nature that makes fun of so many cliches of the spy-thriller genre, and its cast of crazy characters, although it still disturbs me to this day that I know people who act a great deal like Yomiko Readman (and the Paper Sisters from the TV series). The combination of humour and seriousness, even sadness, made a real impact, and the mixture of science fiction with history were pretty new to me.

I started watching the TV series last year and, although it was a little hard to adjust to the new cast of characters and the absence of all my old favourites in the beginning, I soon came to love it as well. For everything I hated about the TV series, there were two things I loved. Those characters that returned from the OAV had changed so radically, and were viewed so differently by the new characters, that they were practically new characters in their own right. Again, the mix of comedy, tragedy and ominous suspense kept me hooked, preordering the DVDs when I could afford them and waylaying the postman whenever one was due.

I admit that I can't pick a favourite between the two. For all the things I hate about the TV series (the British accents, Michelle/Junior, and the crimes committed against Nancy's character) there are so many more things I love (such as the other characters), and as much as I love the OAV, it's only three episodes of great balanced against almost 26 episodes of good (some episodes weren't so great, but my memory's a little fuzzy atm). There, fangirlish rant comes to an end.

What did the rest of you think about the ROD series?
Just because it's in the thesaurus doesn't mean it's a good idea.

And why isn't 'dethesaurisation' in the dictionary?
Blue Confusion Wrote:I'm sure some of us have seen either the Read Or Die OAVs or the TV series (or in the cases of some, both)
not me, i guess i should give a try since there are way too many people praising it

[Image: signaturetacc6vq.jpg]
Military Intelligence are two contradictory words
I've seen the trailer for Read or Die and liked it, I've read the OAV on this site *don't you guys feel special, lol* and I like the TV version the best. *shrugs* don't ask me why *stare*
- The wind blows through my soul as the whispers enchants my heart.
The OVA was more polished, neat and trim. Felt just like a trip to the Movie Theater when I was done watching it (especially since I watched all of it in one night :P). The TV series felt more like a relationship than a "one-night stand". Both were excellent but I think the TV series fell just a bit short of the bar the OVA set. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either one though.
Improving Engineering daily through the incorporation of Meta Advanced Anime Physics Studies.

Impossible is Nothing to an Anime Engineer! Big Grin
I started collecting ROD the TV back in November 2004, I knew that it was the sequel to Read or Die OVA but I couldn't find it and told myself that I wouldn't watch ROD the TV until I had bought the OVA... well, well, lucky me. Right next ROD the TV was the OVA, which was pretty unusual seeing as the store only sold new release anime and the OVA wasn't a new release. Big Grin Twaz a lucky day for me.

Love the OVA, love the TV series, IMO there isn't much difference between the two series, they both rock, both have the same level of animation quality. Oh before I go on I should explain... ROD the TV has different versions available of it. There's the original broadcast release and the DVD release. The original broadcast release has some pretty poor animation and lack of detail compared to the DVD release which has OVA level animation which makes it fit with the OVA's level of animation quality.
You've read it! You can't unread it!

[Image: nami_sig.gif]
As Analog says, the OVA is like a movie. Again, yes, I watched it in one night. {^.~};;;;

The TV is just... quirky where the OVA is more... 'dark'. I think they tried to fix it when the great fire of books and wendy and all that... turned up. Along with the 'truth' about the sisters...

But, as always with me, I thought the manga was better than the anime. Hands down.
My Parents Stole My Soul
The MPSMS Group
They didn't "try to fix" any part of ROD the TV. The story was pretty much set out from the beginning, laid out step by step to tie in with the OVA. The TV series does go through certain phases but don't all TV series?

I thought the TV series and OVA were perfectly matched.
You've read it! You can't unread it!

[Image: nami_sig.gif]